Bloom Fresh Kale and Black Bean Empanadas
Recipe by Chopped Champion, Chef Santana.
1 5 oz box of Bloom Fresh Baby Kale
1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 ½ tsp salt
1 stick butter, cut into ½ inch cubes
1/3 cup water
1 Tbsp white vinegar
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp cumin
1 15oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
salt (to taste)
4 oz grated cheddar cheese
1 egg (for wash)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Combine butter with flours and salt using fingertips or food processor until the butter until the mixture looks like coarse corn meal.
- Whisk water, egg and vinegar together. Slowly combine with the flour mix, using a fork until fully incorporated.
- Knead dough gently on a smooth surface until the dough comes together. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 30minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in the sauté pan. Add onion and cook until soft and translucent (2-3 minutes). Add in garlic and cumin, stir to cook for about a minute. Add in kale, stirring until cooked. Turn off heat, add beans and adjust salt to taste.
- After dough has chilled, shape it into 1 ½ inch balls and roll them out into circles, using a rolling pin.
- Place one tablespoon of filling in the bottom half of the circle and add a small sprinkling of cheese, avoiding the perimeter. Wet the perimeter of dough with water and fold in half. Seal edges with a fork. Repeat to make the rest of the empanadas.
- Brush empanadas with egg wash and bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden and firm.Note: You can use your favorite bean and cheese over black beans and cheddar, if you prefer. Unbaked empanadas may be frozen .