Bloom Fresh Pomegranate-Sesame Chicken over Coconut Rice
Bloom Fresh Pomegranate Arils, for serving
2 pounds boneless chicken, cut into bite size pieces
4 tablespoon flour (use a gluten free blend if needed)
½ cup orzo pasta
1 cup basmati rice
2 ½ cups chicken broth
3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1/2 cup pomegranate juice
1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
2 tablespoon brown sugar
2 cloves garlic minced or grated
1 teaspoon chili paste
8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
1 cup fresh or frozen broccoli
I inch piece fresh ginger, grated
1/4 cup sesame seeds
- To make the rice, heat a 10-12 inch sided skillet over medium heat. Add the coconut and orzo pasta and brown for 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and toast the rice another 2 minutes.
- Add the ginger and cook 30 seconds longer or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Slowly pour in the chicken broth and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once boiling, cover and reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, coat diced chicken with flour.
- Sear chicken in batches until all sides are brown and transfer to a bowl.
- In a glass measuring cup or bowl, whisk together the toasted sesame oil, pomegranate juice, soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, garlic and chili paste.
- Heat a clean skillet and add remaining 1 tablespoon of sesame oil.
- Cook broccoli and mushrooms for 3-5 minutes.
- Reduce heat, add pomegranate mixture, and fold in chicken.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes, allowing mixture to thicken a bit.
- Toss with 3 tablespoons sesame seeds.
- Serve over rice!