Braised Chicken with Pomegranate Seeds
Yield: 8 servings
This flavorful braised dish incorporates pancetta & a variety of root vegetables for richness. The pomegranate seeds brighten the flavor & color of the dish! Delish! 😍
1 cup pomegranate seeds
1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
8 bone-in skinless chicken thighs and/or drumsticks (2.5 pounds)
4 oz. pancetta, diced small
2 onion, sliced
5 carrots, cut into ½ inch slices
1 fennel bulb, cut into ½ dice
2 cloves garlic, chopped
6 springs parsley
6 springs thyme
1 bay leaf
2 cups light red wine, such as Pinot Noir
3 cups low sodium chicken stock
zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 325*
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add oil. Season chicken with ½ tsp each salt & pepper then place chicken in pot in a single layer. Sear chicken for 5 minutes then flip over & sear the other side for 5 minutes. Transfer chicken to plate.
- Add pancetta to the Dutch oven & sauté, stirring often, 5 minutes.
- Add onions, carrots, and fennel to the Dutch oven & sauté 5 minutes. Add the garlic & sauté for 1 minute.
- Add parsley, thyme, bay leaf, and wine to Dutch oven. Bring liquid to a boil & deglaze the pot, scraping the bottom to loosen any brown bits.
- Add broth & return chicken & pancetta to the Dutch oven, bring to low simmer, cover, and transfer to the oven. Cook for 45 minutes.
- Transfer chicken & vegetables to a cutting board, large bowl, or platter and cover with foil. Discard parsley, thyme stems, and bay leaf.
- Optional for chicken au jus. Place Dutch oven on stove over high heat & bring liquid to a boil. Reduce liquid for 20-30 minutes until it is 2 cups. Season with a pinch of salt & pepper if desired.
- Serve sauce poured over chicken or on the side.
- Garnish chicken with lemon zest & pomegranate seeds.