Brussel Sprouts + Haricot Vert Gratin with Garlic and Pomegranate
Created by Chopped Winner, Chef Santana Benitez
4 Tbsp Bloom Fresh pomegranate arils, divided 3 Tbps and 1 Tbsp (for garnish
1 pound brussels sprouts, trimmed of outer leaves and sliced in half, blanched
1 pound haricot vert, trimmed and blanched
4 garlic cloves, minced
3 shallots, small dice
3 Tbsp all purpose flour
2 Tbsp butter
1 3/4 cup whole milk
Kosher salt, to taste
Pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
Fresh thyme leaves from 4 sprigs of thyme
5 ounces of grated Gruyere or white cheddar cheese, divided 3 ounces and 2 ounces
- Preheat oven to 400F and butter an 8″x12″ gratin or casserole dish. Melt butter in a pot on medium heat. Add the shallots and cook until softened, about 2-3 minutes. Add in garlic and cook for 20 seconds. Stir the flour into the mixture to make a roux and whisk for 1 to 2 minutes, until the roux thickens and expands.
- Add the milk and stir until the roux is incorporated into the milk. Cook over medium low heat for several minutes, stirring until the sauce thickens (you’ll know the sauce is at the right consistency when it coats the back of your spoon.
- Stir in 3 ounces of the cheese and mix until melted. Add in the nutmeg, fresh thyme and pomegranate seeds.
- Add the blanched Brussels spouts and haricot vert to the cheese sauce and thoroughly coat them. Transfer the cheesy vegetables into the gratin dish and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and bubbly. Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with remaining pomegranate seeds.