Pomegranate and Goat Cheese Rice Balls
Recipe by Mother Thyme.
Makes 16 Rice Balls
½ cup Bloom Fresh pomegranate arils, patted dry
Vegetable oil for frying
3 cups cooked medium grain rice, cool and at room temperature
4 large egg
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
½ teaspoon salt, divided
Pinch of nutmeg
4 ounces goat cheese
1 cup plain breadcrumbs
Pinch of freshly cracked black pepper
½ teaspoon Herbs de Provence
½ teaspoon fleur de sel or sea salt
- Heat 3 inches of oil in a deep skillet over medium heat until a thermometer registers 325 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix rice, 2 eggs, Parmesan cheese, pomegranate arils, nutmeg, and ¼ teaspoon salt until combined.
- Cube goat cheese into 16 pieces.
- Scoop 2 tablespoons of the rice mixture and form into a disc. Place a piece of goat cheese in the center and gently roll into a ball. Place on wax paper and repeat step until all balls are made.
- In a shallow dish mix breadcrumbs, ½ teaspoon Herbs de Provence, remaining salt, pepper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl beat remaining eggs.
- Gently dip rice balls in egg mixture, allowing excess to drip off then roll in breadcrumbs. Place balls back on wax paper and continue with remaining balls.
- When the oil is hot fry balls in batches, about 1-2 minutes per side.
- Remove balls from oil using a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel lined platter.
- Sprinkle with fleur del sel or sea salt.